The previously existing concrete trench access covers were heavy, requiring specialist lifting equipment to remove and replace them: a time consuming and expensive process. Due to their weight, they also posed a risk of injury to maintenance teams (quick access to the piping is vital for maintenance and inspection). Nottingham City Hospital also wanted to replace their steel pipework with a reliable plastic piping system, eliminating the potential for corrosion and subsequent fluid egress.
Key issues with the previously existing products:
Concrete Access Covers
- Heavy concrete access covers posed a risk of injury to maintenance teams and required specialist personnel/machinery for removal and replacement.
- Concrete covers often fracture and chip over time.
- Some covers would need to be modified to accommodate pipework extending from within the trench to above ground networks.
- Steel pipework can corrode over time, resulting in fluid egress (leaks).
- The traditional steel pipework was heavy and labour intensive to work with .